With a new season upon us, GEVSD wants to share the Google recommended steps to prepare your Chromebook for summer storage. Following these steps will help longevity with the charging and battery when the new acdemic year starts back.
Best practice prior to long term storage:
1. Update to the latest version of the Chrome OS and charge your Chromebooks so that the battery is at least 80% full.
Example: This ensures that even when the battery discharges while unplugged over the summer, it won’t fully run out of power.
2. Connect the device to a charger and let it fully boot up.
3. Hold Refresh and Power buttons at the same time.
4. While holding these keys, remove the power cable from device and then release the keys. The device should shut down and remain off.
5. Attempt to power the unit on using the power button. If the unit does not power on, you have completed the steps and can safely store the system. If the unit powers on, you should repeat steps 2 thru 4.
Upon the start of school:
1. Connect the Chromebooks to a charger and a power source, which will get them out of the battery disconnect state. Power up your device.
2. Connect your Chromebooks to WiFi and update them to the latest Chrome OS release. a. This can take time, as multiple Chrome OS versions may have been released since the last time the device was updated.
This process is normally performed on all student chromebooks for summer storage. If you will not be using this chromebook throughout summer break we want to please ask that you perform these steps above to help the longevity of the device.
Thank you,IT Department